Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARY CONVERTER

"dave" wrote in message
have a saw (unisaw, actually) I need to run. need to rip some 2x4's, to a
few various widths)

if I put a BRAND new blade on the saw, 24 tooth, what do you suppose would
happen if I try to start the saw up (being a manually-fed saw, it starts
with 'no load' of course) then rip those 2x4's with it?

I realize I "should" have a bigger rotary converter for the task (or
change the saw to a smaller 3 hp motor), but, as a 'stopgap measure',
might this work, or, uhh, what?

I have no -other- three-phase machines here (at the garage of my house) I
can start up on my ol' arco HD-3 model rotary-converter, either...

thanks for tips, ideas, and WAGS on this one, guys

toolie

I have an old metal shaper with a 7.5HP motor and a clutch. It starts almost
instantly on a home-made 5HP rotary converter. My WAG is that it will start
fine.

Don Young