Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARY CONVERTER

dave wrote:
well, motor's 'no good to me' if I can't run it to saw wood. I'm more
concerned with ruining the arco, to be honest...understand I can
(possibly) convert the saw to take a 'standard' 56 frame motor rather
than the 'unisaw-specific' one, with the 184Z frame (if I burn out the
saw motor) ...

The problem will more be burning out the converter, I think. If it's on
an appropriately sized breaker or it has thermal overloads (heaters),
then you should be ok if the saw does try to draw excessive power. If
it (the converter) isn't protected, let it run on no load (assuming it
starts) for a while and do a sanity temperature check.