Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARY CONVERTER

dave wrote:
have a saw (unisaw, actually) I need to run. need to rip some 2x4's, to
a few various widths)

if I put a BRAND new blade on the saw, 24 tooth, what do you suppose
would happen if I try to start the saw up (being a manually-fed saw, it
starts with 'no load' of course) then rip those 2x4's with it?

I realize I "should" have a bigger rotary converter for the task (or
change the saw to a smaller 3 hp motor), but, as a 'stopgap measure',
might this work, or, uhh, what?

I have no -other- three-phase machines here (at the garage of my house)
I can start up on my ol' arco HD-3 model rotary-converter, either...

thanks for tips, ideas, and WAGS on this one, guys

WAG Catagory - and I'll try to muddy your question

Would it be possible to put some kind of breaker between saw and phase
converter that'll trip out if the actual load is more than the 3hp worth
that the phase converter is designed to deliver?

I wouldn't guess that the job is likely to need anywhere near 5 hp.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar