Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default faulty freezer

On Jul 5, 2:04*pm, wrote:
On 5 July, 14:16, "Scabbydug" wrote:

My undercounter freezer has suddenly ceased to work.
There's power there but when you switch it on it runs for about five second,
there's then a click and silence.
The power light remains on suggesting to me that it could *be something
simple like a thermostat that's DIY replaceable, or are there any other
alternatives other than forking out for a replacement.
Ta.

The thermostat is a pretty common culprit, along with motor brushes,
maybe a motor overheat sensor. These are really just about all you can
do to d-i-y repair a fridge. Assuming it's the usual mechanical sensor
-- tube leading off to a bellows and microswitch -- you need to find
the switch and short out its contacts. If that gets the fridge going,
it's off to eBay for a generic replacement thermostat. Be prepared to
use a little ingenuity matching the new control shaft with the old.

See also the FAQ athttp://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Fridge
but its main advice seems to be that it's cheaper to replace (with a
secondhand one) than repair.

Chris

It'll be the cutout on the compressor, which presumably has a partial
short. It is possible to get these working, but not worth doing due to
the cost of the resulting energy waste.

NT