Mike G

Default Tung vs. linseed

Ahh, how to be delicate about it. Years of cooking grease and smoke in the
air will muck up any finish if it isn't cleaned once and awhile.

Sorry, best I could do.

Take care
Mike

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"Swingman" wrote in message
news.com...
Some practical experience tends to lead me to believe otherwise, but the
jury is still out. Although I finished my current kitchen with lacquer, my
previous one was finished using an oil/varnish. The accumulation of

airborne
cooking oils grease down through the years did nothing but muck up the
latter. Had nothing to do with vertical surfaces.

I have not been that long in this kitchen, but thus far I see none of the
problems in this regard that I saw in the last kitchen early on.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Mike G" wrote in message
Kitchen cabinets are all vertical surfaces and are really only subjected

standing water during floods. Barring that eventuality I've never seen

any
reason that why oil can't be used on the cabinets (NOTE, not counter

tops).

From a practical point of view not only is it easy to apply but, even if

it
should become dull, it is also easily rejuvenated with further

applications
of oil.

Yes, oil doesn't provide a lot of protection from water but it does

provide
some, more then enough to withstand the occasional sink overflow or

spilled
glass of milk. Add a good coat of wax and an oil finished kitchen

cabinet
set will probably stay better looking with less maintenance longer then

lacquer finished cabinet set.

Just a thought or two.