Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Liability & responsibility of electrician?

Doug Miller wrote:
You're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the voltage supplied
by the utility. The utility doesn't supply 220V or 240V or whatever. They
supply (for example) 4KV. A transformer at the point of service reduces that
to 220V, or 240V, or whatever. Different transformers connected to the *same*
4KV primary voltage could easily produce different secondary voltages.

No, I'm not. When I lived in the US, (PECO) the electric company sold
me 240 volt 2 phase electricity. It was nominaly 127 volts, but often
dropped down during times of high usage.

They did not supply or sell me 4kv volts, or anything else.

Here it's even simpler. Israel electric sells me 230 volts, 50Hz electicity
and except for just before the power going out it has been that way for 12
years. When I had a UPS monitoring the voltage, it was never more than
1 volt +- spec.

Ok, since you insist would anyone out there who gets 4kv from their local
electric company please raise your hand.

Geoff.