Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Liability & responsibility of electrician?

In article , "William Sommerwerck" wrote:
1. Did the electrician have any control over the voltage when the system
was rewired?

2. Is it normal for electricians to measure the voltage, and "do

something"
about it if it's not correct (if only reporting the problem to the
businessman)?

You missed the point of the original post. The person who did the work was
NOT an electrician, they were a "handyman" hired to do the work.

I didn't miss the point (I think). He was doing the work of an electrician.
And whether or not he was a licensed electrician, he is still morally
responsible for the quality of his work. (Think Hamurabi.)

Actually, you *are* missing the important point, which is that it's
_not_his_fault_:

1) 245VAC is *not* a problem in a nominal 240VAC supply.
2) If the equipment is actually labelled 220V, and not 240V, it's *old*.
3) Equipment designed for 220VAC normally operates just fine on 240VAC.
4) If the wiring, or the voltage, were in any way to blame, the failure almost
certainly would have occurred long before it did. Four weeks after the fact, I
can't see how that could be laid at the feet of the guy that did the wiring,
licensed or not.