Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] martin_pentreath@hotmail.com is offline

Default Temporary dishwasher

On 5 July, 18:31, Theo Markettos
wrote:
I want to test an old dishwasher before I install it. *Rather than having
something blocking up the kitchen, there's a sink and plenty of space in the
garage I can use. *Assuming the machine can cope with a 1m rise, I should be
able to drain into the sink, but I'd need to arrange the water supply.

I know there are self-cutting taps, like this:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13768/...chine-Accs/Sel...

But they're quite a bodge, and I don't want to install an unsightly tap just
for half a dozen test runs.

I was wondering... the cold tap (which is about 30 years old) has four fins
sticking out about 8mm, and no thread. *We already have a 'Hozelock'
connector for it for fitting a garden hose (leaks like anything, but I don't
care in this application). *Might there be some way to bodge this connector
onto a supply hose? *I have neither the dishwasher nor the tap adaptor
available to check at the moment.

I could mount the Hozelock connector on a new washing machine feed hose by
chopping off one 3/4" BSP connector. *Hozelock hoses are 12.5mm - what size
are washing machine hoses? *Hozelock have discontinued the tap connector, so
I don't really want to break it.

Would the dishwasher mind about the low pressure (put another way, how good
a test would it be with this arrangement)? *There's also an outside tap -
can't remember if it has a screw thread, but it would need at least a 10m
hose run (so we're back to Hozelock again).

Any other suggestions?

We temporarily ran a dishwasher with the supply hose screwed onto the
standard thread of an outside tap - it was a perfect match. Wouldn't
it sometimes be useful to have a 'outside' tap on the pipework in the
garage, screwed to the wall? It would certainly be if more use in the
future than a dishwasher valve.

Cheers!

Martin