Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vernon Vernon is offline

Default OT; Perfect boiled eggs

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

What I can't work out is the 1-7 scales. In each case the 1 egg
mark is higher up than the 7 egg scale, so it indicates that 1 egg
requires more water to cook than 7 eggs would?
The more eggs you're cooking, the more volume within the cooker is
taken up by eggs, so the less volume of steam you require to fill
the remainder?

What is wrong with the old fashioned egg timer, just sand in a glass
container, fail proof, as long as you don't drop it. However does this
device prevent eggs from cracking during cooking, now that is a PITA!

It comes with a 'piercer' to make a hole in the pointed end of the egg. We
had a similar gadget anyway - piercing the end of the egg shell does prevent
it.

We have one of these a Bosch one (the DIY link) and it is superb, the
eggs are cooked just right, obviously you need to fine tune it to your
requirements, but once you have the knack, you get perfect results
everytime. Prick eggs, add water, turn on, turn off when timer goes.
Remove lid and then carry eggs in holder to the table, allow everyone to
help themselves. Repeat as required.

For those that already have one.......

I told a friend at work about ours, he bought one and also thought it
was fantastic, but couldn't prick the eggs as they didn't fit inside the
beaker! I told him to look underneath.....