Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Perfect boiled eggs

Stuart Noble wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I do like a nice soft boiled egg with soldiers. Known as a 'dippy'
egg around here.

Someone bought me a Lakeland egg boiler as a biffday pressie
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/lakeland-e.../product/12922

The video demo explains how it works, but.

Interesting idea. Consists of a water tray with heater at the
bottom, a rack to hold up to 7 eggs and a cover with a small (6mm?)
hole in the top. Idea is that a 'specified' amount of water is placed in
the water
tray, the egg(s) placed in the rack, the lid put on & the heater
switched on. When all the water in the tray has boiled away a
signal sounds and the egg(s) are ready.

Heater output is fixed, the variable is the amount of water that
goes into the tray. So far, so good.

A small measuring beaker is supplied with 3 scales etched into the
sides for hard, medium & soft boiled eggs. Each of these scales is
subdivided 1-7 for the number of eggs to be boiled.

The 'hard' scale is higher up the side of the beaker than the
'medium' scale, which is higher up than the 'soft' scale.

Makes sense. The more water used, the longer it takes to boil away,
the more the egg is cooked. Logical Captain.

What I can't work out is the 1-7 scales. In each case the 1 egg
mark is higher up than the 7 egg scale, so it indicates that 1 egg
requires more water to cook than 7 eggs would?

I'm confused by this, its counter intuitive. Surely 7 eggs take
more heat to cook than 1 egg?

E-mailed Lakeland and they confirm the scales are running the right
way. Can anyone explain the science behind this?

I see the reviews aren't good, and one indicates that you may be right
about the upside down scale

The first few reviews are bad, but the majority are good if you click
through. Lakeland have confirmed the scales are correct;

"Whilst the the graduations on the egg boiler do appear to be upside down, I
can assure you that they are not. I have one of the egg boilers at home and
thought exactly the same! I have tried it out and please be assured that
they are correct."

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk