Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Rechargeable battery question

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 22:41:58 -0700, Bill Noble wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I have a Makita cordless 18v drill (gift from family) that uses 18v
Lithium Ion batter packs. Battery model BL1815.
BTW, this is one of those 'quick charge' batteries that only require
about 12 minutes.

Short story. Battery fell into water during an outdoor plumbing
repair. Recovered within 15 seconds. Battery charged OK 2 more times
and now, upon trying to charge, is shown as "defective" by the
intelligent? charger. It will not charge.

Took battery apart. Unlike older storage packs these batteries come
apart by simply removing 4 screws. Inside is a small circuit board
with many components, a battery pack and hint of silt from the dunking.

The chip and stuff on the circuit board is a small computer (of sorts)
that manages the safety of the battery pack, and if I remember right,
many can send the identity of the pack - as others pointed out, any crud
that provides a conductive path can mess it up.

You can also try the honest approach to the manufacturer - this pack
fell in water, bla bla - charged ok two times and now is defective - can
you help me? they may offer to replace or offer discount - I've had
good luck this way

HP used to be good about this -- a friend of mine sent in a printer for
repair and got a brand new one back for about 1/3 the price of a new one
(they charged for the 'repair'). So when I crushed my HP calculator
(sitting on a briefcase to get it to close is _not_ a good idea when you
forget and leave your calculator in it) I sent it in -- and got a $99
calculator for the $35 'repair' fee.

It can't hurt to try.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com