Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Variable frequency drive (VFD) use with lathes

I'd worry about increasing the throw from 12 to 20 inches - the increase in
loads is very significant - I have a larger lathe that can turn over 40
inches between centers - it is a LOT heavier than a 12 inch lathe - you are
probably putting your body at some risk from flying pieces.

as for VFD - yes, go for it, that's what all the $$$ lathes use now - I have
a DELTA brand (a taiwan company, not the US delta) but any of the VFDs that
will handle your horsepower will be fine - get a 2 hp VFD, you can try on
the machinery newsgroup, a guy named Igor usually has some, and there's
Ebay - the only ones I have right now are 440V.
"GDStutts" wrote in message
Hello and thanks for all the material you posters put up for us
lurkers.

This is the good part: I just purchased a Powermatic 90 with a 1hp 3
phase motor with almost all the accessories in the 1966 catalog
including the outboard freestanding tool rest for $125.

This is the not so good part, I only have 220 single phase in my shop.
It has been suggested that I not buy a new motor but use a VFD. I
would like to know what the group's experience is, good or bad with
this type of set up.

Part II

I have seen reference to risers for the head/tail stock to take it to
a 20" swing, it is 12" now. They would be used with a banjo from a 20"
lathe. Any leads on a supplier, things to watch out for or
suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Gerald

because of those who look on and do nothing."

Albert Einstein