Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Chisel Handle wood choices

On 5 Nov 2003 19:04:38 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

Nova wrote in message ...
Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

I have some old chisels with elegant original handles that appear to
be pearwood. These were made by L. & I.J. White, of Buffalo, NY. A set
of patternmakers' incannel gouges have no leather. A pocket chisel has
leather. I think the leather is meant to be struck (lightly) with a
mallet, which would not be done with the gouges.

Nice tools.

I agree (and I think Rodney is guilty of a drive-by). I have a 3"
L&IJ White slick (very nice but it weren't cheap), a couple double
plane irons (need to make planes for them), and a nice 2" wide bevel
edge socket chisel (which, on-topic for this thread, needs a handle;
how 'bout a picture Rodney?).

Possibly guilty, if I knew what a "drive by" is. They are worth
posting a picture, and if we get a digital camera better than the
keychain camera we have now I will do that.

Sooner or later I will have to go digital just to catalog the
collection, but it costs $$$ for a digital camera that will use our
macro lens.

The bevel edge socket chisel sounds most like the one I have with a
plain beech handle, which may not be original, although it is old. Our
bevel-edged chisel, the one I called a "pocket chisel," has a tang and
brass ferrule, not a socket.

I guess pictures would make all this clearer. I can make slides with a
film camera and mail them to you by snail mail if that would help. Or,
if there is a place I can post to, I could scan slides. I have never
put pix on the web. I know people do that, but don't know how.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light