Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Truing up chuck jaws

On Jul 4, 1:36*am, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * Someone else suggested a light dimmer which is typically quite
inexpensive -- and as for motors -- a cheap hand held electric drill
could be clamped onto a shaft in bearings to drive at a lower speed. *
Or -- you could salvage a motor out of a vacuum cleaner or a kitchen
blender or anything else with a DC/universal motor. *(Just look for
brush holders to verify that it is not AC only -- and the holders may
be hidden inside, as is common in cheap hand held electric drills.)

* * * * Enjoy,

That someone was me. Light dimmers work pretty well. They are a
stiffer source than a variac, and I believe the back emf from the
motor affects when the triac fires.
Another source for universal motors is WeedWackers. I bought one at a
garage sale recently for $5.

Dan