Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default lightning strikes

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:25:46 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 14:36:58 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk had this to say:

"Stephen" wrote in message
To complicate things even further, we live in a dip, so we have to
have the aerial on a 16' pole and even then we need a masthead
pre-amp. That amp requires a power supply, so would I be right to
think the suppressor has to be after the power supply? Would it block
the power otherwise?

Is there anything I can do to prevent the 16' pole attracting
lightning? ...
Put taller metal poles with sharp spikes on top on the hills around
the dip.

The Furse website quotes some US study which reckons that blunt air
terminals are more effective than sharp ones.

Probably depends on if you are attempting to prevent the strike in the
first place, or control its location. The pointy type are good for
spraying out charged particles to help lower the voltage gradient -
reducing the likelihood of a strike IIUC, and the rounded ones make a
better strike target.

(you know this thread is wandering into territory that might summon you
know who...)

Too late...although he's on gmail now...

I hadn't seen his posts in any UK group for ages; I thought he must have
died. I wonder if...

....no that's too cruel

--
Graham.