Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default 18V battery powered tools. Or 120 volt packs?

Ed wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 20:55:58 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Nicad and nickel metal are 1.2 volts per cell. For those,
you'd need 100 to make 120 volts.

Well, goody, goody for you. There are also cells that are 2.2 volts
per cell. I didn't specify any particular technology. Just that no
existing technology would allow for a "very, very, small" 120 volt
battery to power a drill.

If you choose cells that produce 1.2 volts each, then you will also
end up with something bigger than "very, very, small".

IIRC, back when the first RCA portable radios hit the market in the
1950's, they had a 90V battery in them. I'm sure it is possible to
make a 120V battery, but may not be practical.

Even before then.

Tube-type radios (i.e., think WW2 portables) needed plate voltage, typically
90v, from a type "B" battery. Some sets needed as much as 300v and used
several "B" batteries in series.