Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a 120 volt relay

On 7/3/2009 1:08 PM Mortimer Schnerd spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Here's just what you need, for only $2.50:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html

That is a single pole single throw relay. Don't I need a double pole
single throw relay? Otherwise it'd be perfect.

No. Think of it the same as putting a switch in between the line and the
amplifier, like a light switch. SPST is all you need; just switch the
hot wire and leave the neutral connected. (Of course, you'll need to
determine which side of the socket on the back of your receiver is hot,
but this is easily done with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.)

This one's rated at 40 A, so you should have no problems with it.

And forget Radio Shack, as some other posters have suggested. They're
useless.

I've had very poor luck with their stuff in the past. I only go there
when I'm desperate.

Don't know when the last time you dealt with them was, but I recently
ordered some stuff (a gear motor and some switches), got it promptly
with no problems. Everything was as advertised.