Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger[_4_] The Ranger[_4_] is offline

Default "What Sherlock did this?"

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...
On 7/2/2009 6:37 PM WhiteTea77581 spake thus:

I thought it might be entertaining to see posts of your favorite
experience with someone else's "Handiwork."

[snip]
Since we seem to be playing "Top this!" here, how about:

[snip]

When we experienced our first (of many) first-time homeowner issues, it was
over the hot water heater dying a messy death and refusing everything my FIL
and I attempted at resuscitation. A call to a random yellowpages ad for
plumbing emergencies netted a gentleman that was one of the BFP I'd ever
met. He (I nicked him, Man Mountain Mike) stood 6'10", 450 lb, had a long
beard and hair pulled back in a ponytail. He FILLED the closet area that
held the water heater. He was also able to lift said water heater through
the garage and to his truck. As he pulled the tank from the wall, I heard
him breathe, "What the holy hell?"

I peaked around the edge to see pipework (galvanized, corroded,
calcium-encrusted) that rivaled anything from the movie, "Brazil." Through
every female elbow bend to the dozen branch crosses and pipe trees, it was
finally connected to the back of the water heater; a double connection. As
Man Mountain Mike pulled the heater out, it was pulling the piping from the
wall. He was a little annoyed and thought I'd done it. Once I was able to
disconnect the mess for him, he offered to "clean" up the mess for no
charge.

Many MMM-inspired epitaphs and monologues later, it was a much neater
set-up. The best from MMM was, "I don't know the idiot that did this but he
was either a genius or certifiable idiot. I know which I'm leaning
towards..."

The Ranger