Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Need a 120 volt relay

On Jul 3, 10:25*am, Red Green wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote :

Mortimer Schnerd wrote:
I'm looking for a cheap 120 volt relay to use with my stereo system.
I've got a receiver that has pre in/main out jumpers and so I've
added a second power amp to it which is a lot more powerful that
what's already built into the receiver. *I'm actually powering three
rooms of speakers (8 speakers all told); two sets on the receiver's
power amp and 4 speakers in my bedroom off the external power amp.

I want the power to the amp to come on whenever I power up the
receiver but it's a PITA to get to because of the way it's physically
installed.

The AC outlet on the back of the receiver is only rated for 100 watts
max. *The power amp can draw up to 11 amps so the receiver's AC
outlet isn't going to work.

So what I think I need is a relay. *The switched outlet on the back
of the receiver can power the coil and then the relay can handle the
power requirements of the external power amp.

So where can I find such a thing? *Ideas?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly
find a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an
extension cord leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder
directly to the relay's lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

Jeff

prolly?

Come oooooon Jeff. You know too much to be 15 yrs old :-)- Hide quoted text -

I did something very similar to what the OP wants using a DPDT relay
wih the contacts wired in paralell.

Jimmie