Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd Mortimer Schnerd is offline

Default Need a 120 volt relay

ransley wrote:

Check standby load, it might save you quite a few watts putting
everything on a power strip and cutting power completely when not in
use. I dont know your set up but understand Ohms and polarity when
wiring speakers, improper ohms can damage some amps, reversing
polarity can cut out bass frequencies.

I have a pretty good understanding of impedance and polarity. Not to
worry; I've been running this combination for some time now with a
different receiver. This new one is the same brand but has the pre in /
main out jumper that the other didn't. I had to use the tape out on the
older receiver to feed the external power amp and then control the
volume with the two pots on the front of it. It was not the ideal
situation but I'm getting there rapidly now.

I have used the external power amp exclusively for the four 12" three
ways that I have in my bedroom for some time now. Each pair is wired
in parallel. The receiver fed the other two rooms with a pair of
speakers in each. So I could control bass/treble in the other rooms but
not my bedroom. I could only control volume and balance there. I still
won't be able to control fade but them's the breaks.

This relay will solve my last annoyance.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com