Silvan

Default Chisel Handle wood choices

Charlie Self wrote:

Don't know if it's the sampe species you've got aorund the house--Buxus
sempervirens. AKA Turkey boxwood, Abysinnian Boxwood, Circassian boxwood.

Yeah, Buxus... It's a Buxus something, but nowhere near as big as what
you're talking about. It has to be 30 years old, and the largest trunk is
only a couple inches in diameter. Total height maybe 5', and I haven't
pruned it in years. Definitely a shrubby habit.

American boxwood is another name for our flowering dogwood. Uses include

Nah, I know what dogwood is. I'm not a complete idjit. It *is* the state
flower in this and many other states after all. Plus I have a bunch of
them on my property.

jobs that demand a hard, tough wood that doesn't come in large sizes. I'm
going to cut down my wife's favorite some day...yeah, sure I am.

Reminds me. One of my Arbor Day dogwoods died after getting badly damaged
in a storm. I saved the trunk for some reason. It's been laying around
for a few years now. I think that wil be turned into something interesting
on my lathe one day soon.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/