Witchy

Default Lath and plaster ceiling

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:31:44 GMT, "Peter"
wrote:

While in the loft I lifted some of the insulation to find that virtually all
the 'key' bits of plaster that squish through the lath were detached and
just littering the surface. However the ceilings seem to be staying put. I
can't think what's holding them up! Do I have a serious problem please? The
house is 1930's.
Thanks
Peter

There's a serious potential problem, aye. I think it's the plaster
equivalent of surface tension holding the ceiling up - if it's damaged
at any point it could cause a collapse.

All is not lost though. Since you obviously have access to the laths
themselves you can repair the ceiling from behind by using a form of
plaster of paris. I don't know how expensive that might end up being
but if you've got any original decorative features on the ceiling its
pretty much the only way I've heard of keeping 'em intact.

Here's a bit of detail:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/204.shtml

I've also read about 'plaster washers' which screw into the joist to
support the ceiling and can be replastered over, but that seems to be
more a US thing.

Here's another one:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...195050,00.html

I'm going to have to revisit this in our dining room - after I removed
a parting wall (none load bearing) the ceiling looked decidedly
unhappy so its held up with battens screwed to the joists on either
side of where the wall was!

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs