Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default lightning strikes

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 14:36:58 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk had this to say:

"Stephen" wrote in message
. ..
To complicate things even further, we live in a dip, so we have to
have the aerial on a 16' pole and even then we need a masthead
pre-amp. That amp requires a power supply, so would I be right to
think the suppressor has to be after the power supply? Would it block
the power otherwise?

Is there anything I can do to prevent the 16' pole attracting
lightning? ...

Put taller metal poles with sharp spikes on top on the hills around the
dip.

The Furse website quotes some US study which reckons that blunt air
terminals are more effective than sharp ones.

In which case, I'd use both.

Colin Bignell