Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_2_] The Wanderer[_2_] is offline

Default OT Canadan HV electricical distribution

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:50:34 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:30:00 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 15:41:12 +0100, James Salisbury wrote:

Hi,
An OT question for those west of the pond. I have just been on Holiday
in Montreal and have noticed that the local HV network is wired in Star
No different to this country. All system transformers are wired delta/star,
The OP was suggesting that the transformers in his case are wired
star/star.

I don't think so, BICBW. It's unlikely he'd have found out how the
transformers were wound. You trimmed off the bit of my previous post that
might have answered his query if he was basing his comments purely on the
number of wires he was seing.

OK, I'll bite. You apparently didn't read the OP's answer to my original
question which was "What makes you think HV network is wired in star?"
to which the OP replied "Lots of single phase extensions with only 1 HV
fuse and only 1 connection on a HV insulator"

Therefore, presumably there *is* an HV neutral on the OP's system.

That is not abundantly clear from the OP's reply to you.

If
some of the HV network in Canada is wired star, then some of the network
transformers would be delta/delta and some would be delta/star and some
would be star/star.

Your assertion that "all system transformers are wired delta/star" is
untrue anyway.

A reference to support your counter assertion?

Pretty much all EHV/HV, HV/HV, HV/MV transformers in the
UK are wired delta/delta.

Bull****.

Can you kindly explain, then, how the 11kv system is protected against
earth faults if the secondary windings of a system transformer are delta
connected?

I suggest you stop now, before you dig yourself into an even bigger hole.

(Hint: I know what I'm talking about, you don't.)

--
The Wanderer

Whenever I look for something, it's always in the last place I look.