Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaving AC/Fans on in vacant home

bob haller wrote:
On Jul 2, 11:10�pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
ShadowTek wrote:
mm wrote:
Leaving AC/Fans on in vacant home
Other than for possible buyers, is there a good reason to leave the AC
and three ceiling fans on in a vacant home in Baltimore?
I'm working at home now and could go over and turn the AC on an hour
before buyer shows up (if they know in advance).
Or if the AC runs, shouldn't they turn off the fans so the hot air
from the ceiling isn't breought down to the thermostat and doesn't
make the AC run even more?
My friend is selling the home and it make take weeks or months, and
that's a lot of electicity and money wasted afaict.
If possible, I would suggest disabling all utilites.
We just had vandals/squatters do about $30k worth of damage to one of
our homes. Most of it was from water damage, but the electric bill
proved that they were making use of that as well.

Ever heard of this contraption called an electronic security
system? You don't even have to have a POTS line for them to
call for help these days. Never leave a house unattended and
not have a security system. I'm sure a security system would
have cost a lot less than $30k.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

or a observant neighbor.........

if the home has a working phone line its probably possible to rig up a
remote temperature controller to drop temp when realtors are coming

Here in Birmingham, the Southeast US one, you leave a
house vacant and the AC unit will be gone or shredded
within a few days. Later, all the wiring, copper pipes
and fixtures will be carted off by the metal termites.

TDD