Mike G

Default Tung vs. linseed

I really like oil for situations where it is possible to pretty much
guarantee that no idiot is going to put a wet glass on it, and in fact I
have been finishing some furniture pieces with just tung oil and paint
thinner. It takes about 6 weeks to finally get pretty dry, but it does
eventually dry, and it doesn't darken the wood as much as linseed. It is
also supposed to be somewhat more waterproof.

Now this isn't meant to disagree and personally, I wouldn't depend on any
oil finish for any great protection from moisture, but I've always read the
opposite. Linseed oil being more moisture resistant then tung oil. It was
supposedly it's only saving grace. But then again that is what I seem to
remember reading at some point. I'm going to see if I can find that little
piece of trivia.

On another point that came up in the tread which I'm only addressing on
yours rather then one of the other posts because it's less work then
answering two posts, so forgive me.

Kitchen cabinets are all vertical surfaces and are really only subjected to
standing water during floods. Barring that eventuality I've never seen any
reason that why oil can't be used on the cabinets (NOTE, not counter tops).

From a practical point of view not only is it easy to apply but, even if it
should become dull, it is also easily rejuvenated with further applications
of oil.

Yes, oil doesn't provide a lot of protection from water but it does provide
some, more then enough to withstand the occasional sink overflow or spilled
glass of milk. Add a good coat of wax and an oil finished kitchen cabinet
set will probably stay better looking with less maintenance longer then a
lacquer finished cabinet set.

Just a thought or two.

--
Mike G.