Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default 18V battery powered tools

On Jul 2, 12:34�pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:14:52 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:36:43 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ya know, one day someone will build a drill that runs
on 120 volts.

The trouble is that the 120-volt power packs are so large that they
have
to be housed somewhere else and people have to use power cords to
connect the tool to the power source. Not always very convenient.

Perce

I think DD was making a little joke, there, and referring to 120 VAC.
But a 120 volt battery pack could be made very, very small, if you don't
care about pesky details like mAh ratings.

Considering that it would require about 60 cells to get that voltage,
it would be hard to make it small, even if the capacity were very
limited.

Given that a standard rechargeable cell is 1.2 volts, I'd say it would
take 100 of them. Or were you talking about inverting to AC? Either way,
who said they had to be AA or AAA or even AAAA size? Batteries come
pretty darn small these days, far smaller even than a typical coin cell.

I didn't say anything about AA, AAA or AAAA cells. Even button cells,
in those quantities would make for a sizable package. certainly not
the "very, very, small" �description that was mentioned. So what's
your point?

Sheesh. Read the thread. A 120 volt power pack doesn't have to be so
large that it can't be housed in the tool. Theoretically. But this whole
thing started as a joke. We're into time-passing mode here.- Hide quoted text -

years ago i bought some replacement battery packs, that were marginal
at best.

a friend of friend checked the date code they were as old as my
cordless tools. he knew someone that worked for the company

i believe primecell on this, espically since battery voltages keep
climbing, obsoleting old packs

the best test is getting primecell to rebuild some packs and report
back here