Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default friends working together in shop

Chris Friesen wrote:

There's a difference between brewing temperature and serving
temperature. Coffee should be brewed at 205, but served at no more
than 160 (and 140 is better).

United States Navy Cookbook - 1945

Instructions:
Water, freshly drawn, cold---6-1/4 gal.
Coffee, regular Navy grind3 lbs.3-3/4 qt.

Method:

Pour water into hot water boiler. Heat to boiling temperature.

1. Fill jacket of coffee urn with water 3/4 full as indicated on the gauge
glass. Maintain temperature of this water at 185° F to 190° F.

2.Rinse urn bag with clear, cold water. Place in position in empty urn, in
which coffee is to be made, making sure that both the urn bag and urn ring
are correct size.
\
3. Place coffee in urn bag.

4. Draw off boiling water, 1 gallon at a time. Pour slowly in a curricular
motion over coffee in bag. Keep covered between pouring of each gallon of
water to keep heat and aroma in the coffee brew.

5. Repour 4 gallons brewed coffee over coffee grounds.

6. Remove urn bag and coffee grounds, immediately after all the brewed
coffee has dripped through.

7.Draw off 1 gallon brewed coffee. Repour into urn to insure uniform
strength throughout the brew.

8.Hold finished coffee at temperature of 185° F to 190° F until served.

-----------
Here's a table of coffee temperatures according to various experts. The
serving temperature ranges from 83°C to 98°C (190°F to 208°F)

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/DianaGendler.shtml

Espresso machines would be a bad comparison, because the coffee cools
off so quickly after coming of the machine.

You make a good point about some of the other fast-food places serving
coffee almost as hot...arguably they would be at fault as well.

I think the best solution would be to serve the coffee somewhat
colder, but use a cup that insulates better so it doesn't cool off as
fast. Personally I drink my coffee in an insulated mug and it keeps
its temperature for hours.

Chris