Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long should a microwave last?

Simon wrote:
On 2 July, 14:39, Ian wrote:
With the Sale of Goods Act and "fit for purpose" in the back of my mind,
what is a reasonable time for a microwave to last these days?

I bought a Panasonic T545WFQ new from John Lewis about two and a half
years ago, and it's started blowing fuses. After replacing the 13A fuse
(in the mains plug) the electronic display works OK, but as soon as I
press Start, the fuse blows. My guess is there is a fault either in the
turntable motor or in the magnetron circuitry somewhere.

The microwave has only had light domestic use, mainly for defrosting
rather than cooking.

My cheapy, average use, has lasted 5 years to far.
It seams pot luck though. But who cares when you can buy a new
one for 20 quid in tescos ?
Simon.

My £49.95 one is still going after 9 years...