Posted to alt.home.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Garage door jerks when opening

wrote:
Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
fine.
There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
off the floor and reopens by itself.

Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?

Thanks

Both symptoms are common to the same cause.

Check your opener's limit switch, would be my advise.
Sounds like settling has caused the door to close 'earlier'
than it had when the opener was first installed.

You need to move the limit switch back a taste so that the
door closes securely yet does not 'load up'.

--Winston