Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 18V battery powered tools

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:03:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

In other words PrimeCell appears to be claiming that the original
manufacturer is going to give me 2004 technology, while they'll put
2009 technology in my 2004 case.

The exact way I read it.

That's reading something into it that it does _not_ say--what it
specifically claims is that the packs were built and are aged...

"If you are considering the purchase of new battery packs from the
original manufacturer.. remember this: If your tool is 5 years old...
it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years
old. They stopped making the battery packs..."

Not "the manufacturers may still be using the battery type of five years
ago" but "the _EXISTING_REPLACEMENT_PACKS_ARE_ also 5 years old".

That's a pretty d--d explicit claim that is bogus backed up by the dates
of manufacturer of OEM-supplied packs I have in hand.

Of course they included the typical pitchman "out" of adding the "it is
likely" that allows them to weasel out of it being an out-and-out lie;
it's always possible there's _some_ discontinued niche product out there
_somewhere_ for which it's true the only remaining replacement supply is
old, but that's relying on the nuance of the Clinton-esque "depends on
what the mean of is is". Again, sure, it's just ad-talk but doesn't
give me a warm fuzzy that they're on the up-and-up if they need such
hyperbole to sell product.

Again, if they've done well, good; maybe satisfied customers could
suggest they tone they claims down to something more realistic.

And, of course, the obligatory $0.02, etc., ...