Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 18V battery powered tools

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 14:47:56 -0500, dpb wrote:

bob haller wrote:
I haved used PRIMECELL.COM thewy do a excellent job. ...

anyhow this is from their website./.........

If you are considering the purchase of new battery packs from the
original manufacturer.. remember this: If your tool is 5 years old...
it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years
old. They stopped making the battery packs... when they released the
new model, and the gadgets that go with it.. ...

I don't know these folks in particular and if you've had good luck with
them, that's good; I won't argue that.

But the above quote makes me extremely suspicious--it's simply untrue
for most vendors unless they completely shift battery pack designs which
few do because of compatibility.

Milwaukee has used the "slide-on" design "since forever"--it's certainly
not true they've not manufactured a new battery pack in nearly 15 years;
in fact they replaced under warranty a whole series of 18V packs owing
to a possible problem w/ the internal venting mechanism within the last
year or so for a tool of over 5-yr's age at the time. Manufacturing
dates will be on the packs.

I get really leery really quickly of any outfit with such obvious
nonsense as a sales tactic.

You have to send in your battery packs! Primecell just replaces the
cells to newer types. Nothing to do with replacing the case itself.

I understand that--my first suggestion to the OP was to get his packs
rebuilt...

But I disagree wholeheartedly w/ the "If your tool is 5 years old...
it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years
old. They stopped making the battery packs... when they released the
new model, ..."

My point is that the OEMS do NOT in general cease making the battery
packs for existing models when a new model is introduced; the continue
w/ production of multiple voltages at any one time and even if a
particular voltage is discontinued there will be new packs available for
them for quite a long time.

It's marketing hype, granted, but imo very misleading hype.