Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default 18V battery powered tools

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 14:47:56 -0500, dpb wrote:

bob haller wrote:
I haved used PRIMECELL.COM thewy do a excellent job. ...

anyhow this is from their website./.........

If you are considering the purchase of new battery packs from the
original manufacturer.. remember this: If your tool is 5 years old...
it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years
old. They stopped making the battery packs... when they released the
new model, and the gadgets that go with it.. ...

I don't know these folks in particular and if you've had good luck with
them, that's good; I won't argue that.

But the above quote makes me extremely suspicious--it's simply untrue
for most vendors unless they completely shift battery pack designs which
few do because of compatibility.

Milwaukee has used the "slide-on" design "since forever"--it's certainly
not true they've not manufactured a new battery pack in nearly 15 years;
in fact they replaced under warranty a whole series of 18V packs owing
to a possible problem w/ the internal venting mechanism within the last
year or so for a tool of over 5-yr's age at the time. Manufacturing
dates will be on the packs.

I get really leery really quickly of any outfit with such obvious
nonsense as a sales tactic.

You have to send in your battery packs! Primecell just replaces the
cells to newer types. Nothing to do with replacing the case itself.

It is a family business - in the USA. You print the order form,
complete it and ship your batteries.