Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default What is "engineered Oak"

Martin Carroll wrote:
I am looking at flooring to go over an UFH system and have come across a
lot of sites selling "engineered oak" as suitable for this purpose. The
description of these floors however sound to me more like laminate i.e.
a sub layer (be it of oak or ply) covered by a top layer of oak of
varying thicknesses.

I thought that engineered oak was made by taking pieces of oak and
gluing together to form a piece less likely to warp. This is certainly
how the "oak" patio doors I have installed is made.

Cheers

Martin

Usually would refer to laminated wood as you describe but tends to be a
much abused term where some sort of process is applied to virtual
firewood to turn it into a manufactured product that is just about fit
for purpose.
The only way to be sure is to ask for the specification backed up with a
sample.

Bob