Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default 18V battery powered tools

On Jul 1, 1:38*pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 1, 1:02 pm, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:

... Not used any DW, all I have are red (Milwaukee). *2-yr lifetime seems
quite low to me; I've one pair that are at least 8 that are seemingly as
good as new still...
Another thought...the limited lifetime would make me suspect cheap
charger(s) maybe.

--

*"Another thought...the limited lifetime would make me suspect
cheap charger(s) maybe."

Wouldn't that mean the chargers supplied with the DW tools are
actually detrimental to the batteries, assuming of course, that the OP
is using the DW chargers that came with his DW tools?

Planned obsolescence on DW's part?

Are they purposely limiting the life of their batteries?

A) *Possibly
B) *Unlikely (imo)
C) *See B)

What is more probable (again imo, keep reading ) is they're
relatively inexpensive tools and one of the places manufacturers cut
cost is in less sophisticated chargers. *Of course, they may use less
expensive batteries in the packs, too.

Milwaukee chargers (at least for the packs I've experience with) are
processor-controlled and shut off when the pack is fully charged; that
feature isn't present on some (many?) of the more inexpensive tools.
There's also more sophisticated charging rate control and so on in some
chargers as compared to others.

I've not researched DW; I'd expect their high end stuff is similar to M
but I _think_ they have a fairly wide range of products in their lineup
so if OP has less expensive group might be an issue.

Again, it was a thought of possible contributing cause...

As far as I know, DW doesn't have high-end and low-end tools in the
manner that I think you mean.

For example, they have "standard" drills and they have impact drills,
but these are different tools, not high-vs-low end.

They have different lines of batteries (XR, XR2, XR+) but the chargers
are all the same, at least within the 7.2 to 18V range. I can't speak
to the 36V tools since I don't own any - yet. g The different
batteries (XR, XR2, XR+) have different run time specs.

Yes, their chargers do shut off once the pack is fully charged. See
here for info on their chargers as well as some charging "best-
practices".

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...dless&ID=702#4

My favorite charger is this one - it runs on the battery when not
plugged in to an AC outlet and charges the battery when plugged in. I
swap my batteries in and out to keep them exercised, typically running
the device on the battery until the reception begins to weaken.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8042

I often plug my GPS into the CD-player port and listen to MP3's. My
kids use it with their iPods at picnics, camping, etc.