donald girod

Default Tung vs. linseed

I would NEVER use anything but oil-based poly on kitchen cabinets, because
it has the greatest resistance to water. Of course, if you never use the
kitchen except for chinese takeout (and I think that this does in fact
characterize a lot of very expensive kitchens), then it matters not what you
use. Water-based poly is probably ok too, but it generally is more likely
to waterspot. In any case, oil finishes are not water resistant--the more
oil, the less resistance. You can mix oil and varnish or use commercial
products, but none of them will hold up as well as poly. Sprayed lacquer is
ok, and catalyzed finishes used by professionals are obviously great, but if
you are doing it yourself, brushing on poly with a Jen Manufacturing foam
brush is hard to beat for ease, total effort, and expense. And I LIKE the
smell of curing varnish, which only lasts a month or so really. But that's
me. Oil smells a lot more.

I really like oil for situations where it is possible to pretty much
guarantee that no idiot is going to put a wet glass on it, and in fact I
have been finishing some furniture pieces with just tung oil and paint
thinner. It takes about 6 weeks to finally get pretty dry, but it does
eventually dry, and it doesn't darken the wood as much as linseed. It is
also supposed to be somewhat more waterproof.

"Trent©" wrote in message
I'm redoing our kitchen cabinets...and I want to put oil on them when
I finish stripping them.

I did one very small door a few months ago...to see how it looked when
done. I used linseed oil on it...which is what I always use. It
looks great...exactly the look I'm looking for.

I have never used tung oil...have no idea even what it looks like when
on, etc.

Can someone give me some practical experience they've had with tung
oil? Is it much different in application...looks...etc. from linseed
oil? This is all going on birch, BTW.

Do ya think the one door with the linseed oil will match the tung oil
door? I was planning on putting on 4 coats of linseed oil. Will I
need that many of tung oil for the same level of protection?

TIA

Have a nice week...

Trent