Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Question

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:13:55 -0400, wrote:

My neighbor is having his asphalt driveway re-done. His old driveway
was full of cracks, and he assumed that the cracks were from freezing
and thawing and that probably the foundation under the asphalt was
poor or non-existent. Surprise! When they went to remove the old
asphalt, they discovered that there was a second layer of asphalt
underneath. And, it had absolutely no cracks whatsoever.

So, my question is - what would cause the top layer to crack in this
situation? Poor asphalt mix?

I am really curious.

Thanks

Duke

It could be that there was not enough liquid asphalt used when it was
mixed. It could be that too hard a grade of asphalt was used when it
was mixed. It could be that it was not compacted properly. Or a
combination of all those. It could also be that the quality of the
rock was not very good, some rock absorbs too much of the asphalt and
some rock just doesn't coat very well.