Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Questions about building a wooden gate

KWP wrote:
wrote in message
Am wanting to build a double gate made of treated wood - 2x4's and
1x6 x6'.
have a 10' opening, so 2 - 5' sections. I think these gates will
be a bit
heavy, so I am wondering if I should use 4x6 posts to support these
things
rather than 4x4's? I plan to cement posts in ground about 48" (frost
line
here is 42")

Cement around treated lumber is a bad idea, unless you like wobbly
posts. Treated lumber shrinks long after the concrete cures.

Right. When building a fence, I stack the treated pickets in the garage for
a month or more (with proper air flow) to let them dry out. If put them up
wet, they dry on the vine, so to speak, and you get 3/8" gaps between the
pickets.

'Course they swell back up when it rains...

Maybe there's a market for kiln-dried fence pickets?