Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default new lighting standards

The issue with this is the same as with more gas efficient cars, and
anything else where there the current technology remains less expensive to
produce. There is no incentive for manufactures to develop improvements or
for consumers to buy the more expensive alternatives that are available. We
have to continue investing in the future and since we won't do it on our
own, legislative moves are about the only alternatives.

As others have stated, I'm happy with the CFLs I've installed. I use to
keep a pack of 60w in my nightstand because the dang light would always burn
out when I was dog tired and just wanted to get to bed - not go hunting for
a new bulb. I haven't had to replace it since putting in the CFL a couple
years ago.

"Frank" wrote in message
On Jun 30, 11:16 am, "Bill" wrote:
Is anyone else fed up with the government trying to take care of us and
protect us by not letting us make any of our own decisions?

Actually my summer electric bill is HALF of what it was years ago because
of
things like this. Basically because of "Energy Star".

I don't know if Energy Star *required* A/C, refrigerator, and freezer
manufacturers to make their units more energy efficient or if it just
required labeling? (Then consumers could pick the best models?)

But I got a new A/C unit, new refrigerator, and new freezer and this cut
my
summer time use of electricity in half because these use less electricity
operate. PLUS the A/C has a bit more BTU's than the old! And it was less
expensive ta boot!

So I LIKE this type of stuff myself.

I like it too. I just don't want to be dictated to. The new cap and
trade bill is a killer.