Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Question

On Jun 30, 7:15�pm, Hipupchuck wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:55:19 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

This is why I SEAL my driveway every couple years, the coating seals
the cracks and keeps water from penetrating causing more cracks.

my driveway isnt brand new but thats OK since its about 25 years old

I have sealed my driveway every year for seven years, and I have many
cracks also. �I don't know if my neighbor had his done.

Duke

\The only �reason the asphalt cracks is because it heaves up and down by
the frost. If it had a proper base it wouldn't crack and wouldn't need
to be sealed.

mine had a one foot deep base of a variety of rock, installed by a
company that does public roads.

it didnt crack much when young but has more as its aged.

asphalt detoriates and cracks in phoenix where it almost never
freezes.

although sun does much damage there.

the next door neighbor where i grew up as a child, and I am 52 now.

that driveway is asphalt as old as I am and still in decent shape, the
neighbor still lives there but over 80 years old he hasnt been able to
seal it recently.

tom meehan is a nice guy I will stop and visit this summer