Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jw@eldorado.com is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Question

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:48:19 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

When they went to remove the old asphalt, they discovered that
there was a second layer of asphalt underneath.

So they were really removing the *new* asphalt, not the old, right?

Had the orginal driveway settled a lot, even if it hadn't cracked? Why
was there a second layer on top, if there was nothing wrong with the
one below?

A good question. The house was a model home, onto which a garage was
added after the first asphalt layer was laid - so I am told anyway.

Noone seems to know why the second layer was added except maybe it was
to make the top of the asphalt match up with the garage entrance,
which it does - if the added asphalt is there.

Anyway he had several bad cracks, and so wanted to correct that. Let
us hope that the new second layer does better.

I was just curious. It seemed odd to me.

Duke