Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Question

On Jun 30, 3:01�pm, George wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:13 pm, wrote:
My neighbor is having his asphalt driveway re-done. �His old driveway
was full of cracks, and he assumed that the cracks were from freezing
and thawing and that probably the foundation under the asphalt was
poor or non-existent. �Surprise! �When they went to remove the old
asphalt, they discovered that there was a second layer of asphalt
underneath. �And, it had absolutely no cracks whatsoever.

So, my question is - what would cause the top layer to crack in this
situation? �Poor asphalt mix?

I am really curious.

Thanks

Duke

When they went to remove the old asphalt, they discovered that
there was a second layer of asphalt underneath.

So they were really removing the *new* asphalt, not the old, right?

Had the orginal driveway settled a lot, even if it hadn't cracked? Why
was there a second layer on top, if there was nothing wrong with the
one below?

A good asphalt job will always have two layers on top of the stone base.
A coarse binder followed by a fine top layer.

But the OP didn't give any details so who knows?- Hide quoted text -

This is why I SEAL my driveway every couple years, the coating seals
the cracks and keeps water from penetrating causing more cracks.

my driveway isnt brand new but thats OK since its about 25 years old