Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Question

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:13 pm, wrote:
My neighbor is having his asphalt driveway re-done. His old driveway
was full of cracks, and he assumed that the cracks were from freezing
and thawing and that probably the foundation under the asphalt was
poor or non-existent. Surprise! When they went to remove the old
asphalt, they discovered that there was a second layer of asphalt
underneath. And, it had absolutely no cracks whatsoever.

So, my question is - what would cause the top layer to crack in this
situation? Poor asphalt mix?

I am really curious.

Thanks

Duke

When they went to remove the old asphalt, they discovered that
there was a second layer of asphalt underneath.

So they were really removing the *new* asphalt, not the old, right?

Had the orginal driveway settled a lot, even if it hadn't cracked? Why
was there a second layer on top, if there was nothing wrong with the
one below?

A good asphalt job will always have two layers on top of the stone base.
A coarse binder followed by a fine top layer.

But the OP didn't give any details so who knows?