Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Questions about building a wooden gate

On Jun 30, 11:31*am, "Bill" wrote:
If it is on a slope, why not have the gates open out instead of in?

Or make the area level where the gates open.

Other than that, you can be quite creative with this keeping in mind you
could go to a welder and have you own hinges made. Hinges which would lift
the gate up as it swung open. Or push the bottom out as it swung open.

Also best to have a welder make a metal frame for each gate to support the
wood. Use square channel. Then the gates will not sag.

Also don't use wood screws for the hinges. Use stainless steel machine
screws with lock nuts.

wrote in message
Am wanting to build a double gate made of treated wood - 2x4's and 1x6
x6'.
have a *10' *opening, so 2 - 5' sections. I think these gates will be a
bit
heavy, so I am wondering if I should use 4x6 posts to support these things
rather than 4x4's? *I plan to cement posts in ground about 48" (frost line
here is 42") *also what size hinges? will 3 - 8" *"T" zink plated heavy
duty
hinges be strong enough? or should I go to 10" and if I use 10" hinges can
go with 2 for each gate? *This gate is on a slope - about 6 to 8 inch end
end so I need one gate to open upward about 3" if that is possible. Guess
could offset the hinges a bit, but would I build gate off square on inside
to compensate? not really sure how to make that work. I was thinking to
pour
10' by 1' wide by 6" deep cement *across the whole opening with some 3/8
rebar to reinforce.......would this be strong enough to drive over? Thanks
any help appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Or make the area level where the gates open.