Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Question

wrote in message
My neighbor is having his asphalt driveway re-done. His old driveway
was full of cracks, and he assumed that the cracks were from freezing
and thawing and that probably the foundation under the asphalt was
poor or non-existent. Surprise! When they went to remove the old
asphalt, they discovered that there was a second layer of asphalt
underneath. And, it had absolutely no cracks whatsoever.

So, my question is - what would cause the top layer to crack in this
situation? Poor asphalt mix?

I am really curious.

Thanks

Duke

Proper asphalt is in two layers. The bottom coating is more course than the
finish coating. It may well have been freezing on the top coat. One you
get a crack, they keep getting bigger in the freeze/thaw cycles.