Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFLs that start out bright

Just a small data point to throw into the ongoing
discussion/argument/fight over CFLs here.

One of the oft-heard complaints about them is that they take a long time
to achieve full brightness. I remember this when I first starting using
CFLs; at that time (ca. 2002), the best/cheapest ones 'round heah' were
the ones Ikea sold (20 watters @ ~ $5). They were basically good bulbs,
and put out lots of good light when warm, but the most annoying thing
about them was the extremely long startup time: they took a full 5
seconds to emit *any* light when first turned on, and then were only
about half brightness.

Anyhow, I just installed a new light fixture for a client, one that uses
a CFL with the bi-pin arrangement, and was surprised the first time I
flipped on the switch that it came on instantly at nearly full
brightness. Unfortunately, I failed to get the brand of bulb (it's one
of the "twisty" types). But it shows that it is indeed possible to make
a CFL that doesn't take an ungodly amount of time to get bright. (Up to
now I've been advising clients not to bother with CFLs in places like
closets where lights are only on for short times.)