Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default D-I-Y Aircon install systems..

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:11:23 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Anyone ever done this or had any experience of this sort of thing?..

Yes

The wall mounted type with external compressor and the pipes between
them, with the pre charged refrigerant?...

The ones I have done did not use the snapfit connectors but copper
flared pipe. I used an old refrigerator compressor as a vacuum pump
before releasing the refrigerant. In both cases the pipe connectors
needed further tightening after leak testing with soapy water. Both
have lasted 3 years so far.

Instructions tend to be a work of fiction and usually seem to apply to
a different model by a different manufacturer sold in a different
country for a different purpose. Apart from that they are quite
clear.

You need a core drill to make a hole for all the pipe work and need to
be _really_ careful when bending the pipe - it easily kinks. I used
some brown guttering fitted over he pipes to hide the pipes on the
outside of the house.