Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

Default Is it likely a different digital converter box will provide more TV channels?

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:48:08 -0400, mm wrote:

If this is the wrong newgroup, I apologize and hope you can recommend
a better one.

Is it likely a different digital converter box will provide more TV
channels?

Or is it more likely my friend, who has a plain antenna in the attic,
needs an amplified antenna in the attic? She doesn't want an antenna
on the roof.

Any recomendations for a powerful converter box? Maybe with a good
Guide. She has a coupon good for 3 more days.

She's in north suburban Baltimore (Reistertown) and can't even get
channel 45, a Baltimore channel, (it says "No signal") that came in
perfectly for her and me too in analog, and perfect for me in digital.
OTOH, she does get channel 7 in Washington DC. The city is about 50
miles from her, not sure where the transmitter is, but it's farther
than channel 45's.

Go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and also to
http://www.tvfool.com/. TVFool is nice in that it can give you the
azimuth (direction) and a nominal expected signal strength for
neighboring stations.

The antenna is more important than the converter box.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA