Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Billy Mays is dead

Brian Lawson fired this volley in
:

SNIP

Sounded like the pilot put the nose wheels down first! Both blew.
I'd suspect the altimeter in the plane or the radar glide path....

Normally, the heavy center mounted wheels take the impact, and most

of
the time, a kiss then slowing down by air brakes dropping the nose.

Glide path (glide slope) is not "radar". but point taken.

"Nose wheel" touching first can lead to "wheel-barrowing", often
causing a rapid and erratic "turn" to the left or right, and there

is
little control until the mains hit. Precession can cause heavy
stowage in the overheads to force the compartment(s) open and
discharge the contents.

As an aside, the only "go-around" I experienced was many moons ago

at
Tampa. Service vehicle got too close to the runway, or so we were
told later.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

It's hard to see how he could've put the nosewheels down first in that
sort of aircraft, in landing configuration. With the flaps extended,
and at the speed they come over the fence, the angle of attack has to
be fairly high. That automatically puts the mains on the deck first,
unless he just deliberately nosed down before contact (that just ain't
likely, even with a student pilot).

However, the pilot might have pushed the yoke forward right after the
mains were down. That would impose higher forces on the nose gear
than it's designed to take. The other possibility is that he engaged
the thrust reversers before the nosewheel came down. Same outcome.

LLoyd