Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about building a wooden gate

On 6/29/2009 7:29 PM spake thus:

Am wanting to build a double gate made of treated wood - 2x4's and 1x6 x6'.
have a 10' opening, so 2 - 5' sections. I think these gates will be a bit
heavy, so I am wondering if I should use 4x6 posts to support these things
rather than 4x4's? I plan to cement posts in ground about 48" (frost line
here is 42") also what size hinges?

Phew. Lotta questions there.

I built a gate very similar to this: a set of 2 gates spanning about
10'. 4x4 posts work just fine, so long as they're set deep enough in
concrete. (And *don't* just throw the dry bag in the hole and squirt
water in; mix the stuff the way you're 'spozed to.) My gates were 2x4
frames and 1x10 or so boards, all reclaimed lumber, so very much like
yours (6' tall).

I used some heavy door hinges (removable butt hinges) because I had a
****load of them, 2 per gate. I also mounted casters below each gate to
support them. Don't know if you could do this in your situation, but
it's a very easy way to help keep the gates from sagging.